[Advaita-l] DSV /SDV in Shri Dakshinamurthy Stotram

smallpress smallpress at ymail.com
Mon Apr 8 13:54:42 EDT 2024

 Thank you and Namaste.What is that advaita vedanta framework that holds waking is identical to dream, no ifs and buts. Shankara in the Dakshinamurthi Ashtakam says the mirror-world is LIKE a dream. That makes it NOT identical, It is recognition of the two states as distinct, is it not? And yet it seems we are looking at DSV in later verses.

Can you explain what is Srusti Drishti and how this work, DMA, can be read as using the SDV, as is in specific verse, or specific commentary?
Thank you so much for your effort and time. I realize I need to know more about the two vadas
Somaya
    On Monday, April 8, 2024 at 08:44:43 AM EDT, Sudhanshu Shekhar: Namaste.
In simple words, that framework of Advaita VedAnta wherein waking is held to be identical to dream, without any if and but, is called DSV.
And where waking is differentiated from dream, is called SDV.
Both DSV and SDV fall within the purview of vivartavAda. However, DSV denies fundamental assumptions of SDV.
For e.g., pratikarma-vyavasthA, a pivotal concept of SDV, is not accepted in DSV. Similarly, jIvanmukti is considered as merely arthavAda in DSV and prArabdha is not admitted. Likewise, sequential creation through panchIkaraNa and trivritkaraNa is unacceptable in DSV.
And these are obvious also once we accept that dream is identical to waking.

Regards.Sudhanshu Shekhar.