[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [advaitin] rope has some problem in rope snake analogy :-)

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 22:34:46 EST 2023

Namaste Vikram ji.

//On a different note, in general to this thread, there have been other
discussions questioning how an unreal snake gives rise to real fear
and subsequent
out that 1) the unreality of snake (as pratibha) is known only after the
dawn of knowledge of the rope. But the real fear (vyavaharika) is produced
prior to this knowledge; wherein snake was still considered as a real
(vyavaharika) entity. Thus only a real snake (misunderstood as vyavaharika)
caused a real fear (vyavaharika) 2) While using the word 'real' & 'unreal',
it is important to call out the level of reality / unreality (paramarthika
/ vyavaharika / pratibhasika) in case of ambiguity. It seems to me the
questions and responses are in different standpoints like apples &
oranges.//

My responses were within the framework of drishTi-srishTi-vAda which is the
mukhya vedAnta siddhAnta. Pratikarma vyavasthA is inapplicable there. The
distinction of prAtibhAsika and vyAvahArika is inadmissible there. The
ajnAta-sattA of objects is not accepted either.

So, the distinction of unreal snake and real fear is not maintainable. Just
as the illusory snake seen in the dream and the "real" fear within the
dream were both unreal being part of dream.

If you have chosen to restrict the discussion within the framework of
srishTi-drishTi-vAda only, then my responses may be ignored.

Regards.

On Thu, 28 Dec, 2023, 10:38 pm Vikram Jagannathan via Advaita-l, <