[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [advaitin] rope has some problem in rope snake analogy :-)

Vikram Jagannathan vikkyjagan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 22:43:47 EST 2023

Namaskaram Shri Venkatraghavan ji,

First of all, my apologies for having misspelled your name a few times in
the past.

I agree with you on the status of origination of the redness that is
perceived. When the red-flower is connected with the sense organ, the
redness perceived is not anirvachaniya. But when the flower is not
connected with the organ, then the redness can be called pratibhasika.

However, my understanding of this passage is that this refers to the
superimposed redness itself and not to the resulting superimposed entity.
The resulting superimposed entity is the "red-crystal", which is different
and actually non-existent in the perceived locus - transparent-crystal. In
this example, with a visible red-flower, the flower, the redness and the
crystal-object are all relatively real (vyavaharika). Only
the "red-crystal" is pratibhasika. Thus, per my understanding, the
appearance of the "red-crystal" is artha-adhyasa and the corresponding
subjective experience is jnana-adhyasa.

Seeking to stand corrected.

with humble prostrations,
Vikram