[Advaita-l] What Counter Correlative means in Navya Nyaaya

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 03:59:22 EST 2024

Hari Om AchArya ji.

// What exactly Counter-correlative means? //

It means pratiyogI of abhAva. An abhAva is undefined without its pratiyogI.
ghaTa-abhAva has ghaTa as its pratiyogI.

The rule is -- without pratiyogI-jnAna, there can be no abhAva-jnAna.

//Is it used when prior knowledge of the existence of the object
somewhere?//

Prior knowledge of pratiyogI is required for abhAva-jnAna.

//Can we say 'Counter-correlative of the non-existence of Gaagaabuubu'.//

We can definitely say this. But unless we know what is Gaagaabubu, we will
not know Gaagaabubu-abhAva.

For e.g. you cannot know Tuoli-abhAva unless you know what is Tuoli. Here,
Tuoli is pratiyogI of Tuoli-abhAva. When I tell you that Tuoli is the
Finnish word for chair, you can at once tell me whether there is
Tuoli-abhAva in your room. Prior thereto, you cannot know Tuoli-abhAva and
you cannot respond to the question -- is there Tuoli-abhAva in your room?

So, pratiyogI-jnAna is a pre-requisite for abhAva-jnAna.

//I do not know what is Gaagaabuubu.//

In that case, you cannot know Gaagaabubu-abhAva.

Regards.
Sudhanshu Shekhar.