[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [advaitin] rope has some problem in rope snake analogy :-)

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 11:48:58 EST 2023

On Tue, Dec 26, 2023 at 10:08 PM Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <

> Namaste Bhaskar ji,
> I meant the locus of the snake is not the mind, it is the place outside.
>
> In my opinion, bhAShyakAra's phrase buddhiparikalpitena, should mean
> buddhyA parikalpitena and not necessarily buddhau parikalpitena, ie, the
> snake is imagined *by* the mind, not that that snake is located *in* the
> mind.

Yes, even the Vedanta Paribhasha, I have heard, says that the 'illusory
snake is 'produced' at that moment in the mind. We can say '*प्रतिपन्नोपाधौ
विद्यमानत्वेन* बुद्ध्या परिकल्पितः सर्पः' The snake is imagined '*as
present in the locus, rope*' at that moment.

warm regards
subbu