[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [advaitin] rope has some problem in rope snake analogy :-)

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 11:37:59 EST 2023

Namaste Bhaskar ji,
I meant the locus of the snake is not the mind, it is the place outside.

In my opinion, bhAShyakAra's phrase buddhiparikalpitena, should mean
buddhyA parikalpitena and not necessarily buddhau parikalpitena, ie, the
snake is imagined *by* the mind, not that that snake is located *in* the
mind.

The context of my comment is, as you rightly point out, the
pratikarmavyavasthA that has been elaborately discussed by post Shankara
AchArya-s, involving artha and jnAna adhyAsa. I don't think merely that one
phrase in the bhAShya rules out the entire support structure, when there
are alternative explanations available.

The reason for the adhyasta object to be postulated to be *outside* is
because of the perceptual experience "I saw it *there*" and the pravRtti
towards (shell silver) or away from it (rope snake). Even though after the
sublation one knows that there is no object outside in reality, one does
not deny the fact that one had perceived it outside. One denies the
validity of that perception in the past because there is no corresponding
object outside in reality.

It is not like a memory where even during the recollection one is aware
that one is not perceiving a memory and one is merely recollecting what was
seen. In the adhyAsa, there are certain perceptual elements - ie there is
sensory contact with the locus of the adhyAsa (samprayoga). It is a product
of a defect in the mind (doShajanyatva) - which differentiate it from
memory, which is purely a mental construct, located in the mind.

That is why in the adhyAsa bhAShya, the bhAshyakAra uses the phrase
smRtirUpah, like a memory, to indicate that the adhyAsa shares with smRti
the characteristic of arising due to samskAra, but is not smRti itself,
because it is also doShajanya and has  samprayoga. It is also the reason he
adds the word paratra in that bhAShya (smRtirUpah paratra
pUrvadRShTAvabhAsah), to indicate that the object was seen to be elsewhere,
a particular location outside where something else was present.

On that basis I agree that it is the doSha located in the mind which acts
as a nimitta for the adhyAsa, but in my view that is not sufficient to make
the adhyAsa itself located in the mind.

Kind regards,
Venkatraghavan