[Advaita-l] Perception in lightning

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue May 11 08:31:59 EDT 2021

Namaste Subbuji,
I had suggested a response to the question "is what is seen the object, or
the conceptualisation of an object?" in an email to Raghav ji.

With respect to what is pramA / bhrama, the prakriyA is exactly the same as
the present. As the viShaya here is the reflected light, so long as the
light reflected from the object hits the eye + antahkaraNa, and the
antahkaraNa vRtti removes the ajnAna in prabhAvacChinna chaitanya, the
prabhAvacChinna chaitanya becomes one with the vRttyavacChinna chaitanya,
leading to the cognition "I see the object".

It is bhrama / ayatArtha if the light hits the eye, but due to some doSha,
the ajnAna in the prabhAvacChinna chaitanya is not removed, leading to
jnAnA-/arthAdhyAsa.

With respect to the X-ray example from Jagadguru Srimad Chandrasekhara
Bharati mahAsvAminah, the light that hits the X-ray plate is an X-ray (as
it is not within the visible spectrum, it is not pratyaksha yogya). What is
captured by the plate on the other side are the X-rays that have not been
absorbed by the foetus. That being so, the eyes have not made contact with
the foetus. Rather the eyes make contact with the X ray plate that has
recorded the X-rays that have not been absorbed by the foetus. Hence, here
it is not the object itself that is seen, rather what is seen is a plate.

In our example, it is the light from the pot itself that is seen, not the
light from the photograph of a pot.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan