[Advaita-l] Perception in lightning

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue May 11 07:33:58 EDT 2021

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 4:25 PM Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <

> Namaste
> It is not to account for exceptions per se. The idea is to preserve as much
> of the advaita epistemological framework as possible, while accounting for
> observable scientific phenomena.
>
> That being the case, what was suggested is that if we change the concept of
> what constitutes a viShaya to the subject (the object is not the viShaya,
> light / sound is), one can preserve the existing framework while addressing
> the challenge of viewing objects that have ceased to exist.

Would there be then the situation where one is perceiving/knowing not the
object per se but only a reflection or a compromise  of it and still think
that he is perceiving the object itself?  Would this then fall in the
category of ayathartha jnana, bhrama?  Or would this be something like a
'samvaadi / visamvaadi bhrama' of the Panchadashi?

HH Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati Swaminah had once remarked: when X rays are
used to get a view of a fetus, for instance, what the resultant picture we
get to see is not the fetus 'as it is' but only that of the object that has
reacted to the X ray.  I think somewhat similar would be the case.

regards
subbu