[Advaita-l] Perception in lightning

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Tue May 11 07:14:10 EDT 2021

Namaste.

Reg  << Yes, but that rUpa is a property of the physical object, which
requires the manovRtti to move towards the object. rUpa is not light
emanating from the object, it is a property inhering in it. Where in the
paribhASha has this idea of rUpa been stated? >>,

That is why I mentioned them as exceptional cases. In the case of a
momentarily manifesting luminous entity like lightning, or luminous
entities like moon,stars etc wherein only their luminosities are
experienced through the sense of sight, I understand the experience of
seeing them as their luminosity only. And as emitting light only. Thus
their rUpa in my experience is as a luminous object only.

Maybe to stand the test of rigorous scrutiny, changes (parishkAra) in
terminology could be called for. I am satisfied with less rigorous analysis.

Regards
Chandramouli

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 3:55 PM Venkatraghavan S <agnimile at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, but that rUpa is a property of the physical object, which requires
> the manovRtti to move towards the object. rUpa is not light emanating from
> the object, it is a property inhering in it. Where in the paribhASha has
> this idea of rUpa been stated?
>
> If it is a property of the object, it leads to the question, how can you
> see the galaxy's rUpa if the galaxy does not exist any longer?
>
> One solution which you had suggested was that rUpa is actually light that
> travels and meets the manovRtti.
>
> Instead of changing the nature of rUpa, I had suggested that it is not
> rUpa that is seen by chakshu, but reflected light. That idea has certainly
> not been suggested by the existing vedAnta framework.
>
> Regards,
> Venkatraghavan

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>