[Advaita-l] Commentary on Ramana's Forty Verses

Akilesh Ayyar ayyar at akilesh.com
Sat Jun 19 11:57:22 EDT 2021

Namaste Raghavji,

This is the crux of the matter:

*Now, to draw a *doctrinal* conclusion about what exactly was Sri Ramana's
categorical position on external renunciation, is not possible by merely
quoting what he said to specific aspirants. We will find verses supporting
both views about the inevitability of external renunciation or its
orthogonality w.r.t GYAnam from the works. But if we choose to regard Sri
Ramana as part of the Advaita vedAnta tradition, then the views of all the
advaita Acharya's taken as a whole, have to be considered as final. Any
seeming divergence between Shankara and RM would in such a scheme be a
result of misunderstanding either of them.*

What's happening here is that a certain *interpretation* of the tradition
as emphasizing the importance of physical sannyasa is being *imposed* on
Ramana, when it simply is not there to be observed in his texts.

We can look at both what Ramana said to *many* different specific
aspirants, plus what he said in his authoritative written works, and come
to a very clear conclusion: Ramana did not think physical sannyasa was a
requirement, inevitable, or even necessarily heavily recommended for all
genuine seekers -- though it might be natural and helpful to some. Neither
does it necessarily follow for a jnani upon attainment.

Dharma is not comparable: you will not find Ramana anywhere telling people
that whether one is dharmic or not is unimportant as a seeker. Not to speak
to seekers "at their level" or otherwise. Whereas he consistently asserted
that physical sannyasa was merely a subsidiary thing to the real sannyasa,
which was mental.

Ramana doesn't mention physical sannyasa in the major works that are from
his pen -- Nan Yar, Upadesa Saram, and Ulladu Narpadu.

And as far as GVK, again, his real point can be seen in GVK 840:

"Know that, rather than one’s thinking in the heart ‘I have renounced
everything’, one’s not thinking ‘I am limited to the measure of the body,
and I am caught in the mean bondage of family life’, is a superior
renunciation."...

If the tradition does indeed put such an emphasis on physical sannyasa,
then Sri Ramana and the tradition put different emphases on these things.

Akilesh

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 2:10 AM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

ᐧ
ᐧ