[Advaita-l] Commentary on Ramana's Forty Verses

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 00:41:48 EDT 2021

namaste
thank you all for an interesting discussion.

it is clear that Sri Ramana in GVK of Muruganar indicates external
renunciation (a la Murugunar himself who though not a sannyasi still
adhered to an austere life of a sadhu) is the *default occurrence* in the
life journey towards self-knowledge in as much as a ripe fruit falls.
Unripe fruits hang on. The exception of a black swan event of some rare
over ripe fruits hanging on to the tree, cannot be used to claim a
principle that external renunciation I.e., withdrawal from money and
pleasure pursuits does not occur or is inconsequential for GYAnam.

We can as well say that leading an ethical dharmic life is also not
enjoined. Because Ravana and Sisupala and other demons were granted
liberation (be it even kramamukti).  So can we say dharma too is orthogonal
to GYAnam. No we cannot.

Why do we even need to purify the mind? After all, RM taught that we are
not the mind. Such can be the incorrect logic.

That's a misunderstanding of Advaita Vedanta to suggest that because Janaka
was a king etc, so external renunciation is unimportant. External
renunciation is the default course which naturally occurs upon maturity.
Its such a no-brainer.

Also regarding the loka saMgraha idea, its in fact sannyAsa thats more
helpful for loka saMgraha than doing let's say some corporate job while
claiming or silently presuming non-doership to rationalize one's pursuit of
desires of artha and kAma.

Sri Ramakrishna's words in a conversation come to mind-
"a man cannot act as an Āchārya without renouncing the world. People won't
respect
him. They will say: 'Oh, he is a worldly man. He secretly enjoys "lust and
lucre" himself but tells us that God alone is real and the world
unsubstantial, like a dream. Unless a man renounces everything, his
teachings cannot be accepted by all. Only some worldly people may follow
him (if there is no external renunciation). Keshab (a well known grihastha
spiritual teacher) led the life of a householder; hence his mind was
directed to the world also. He had to safeguard his family interests. That
is why he left his affairs in such good order though he delivered so many
religious lectures. What an aristocratic man he married his daughter to!
Inside Keshab's inner apartments I saw many big bedsteads. All these things
gradually come to one who leads a householder's life. The world is indeed a
place for enjoyment.

Chaitanyadeva renounced the world *to set an example to mankind*. The
sannyasi is a *world teacher*. "The sannyasi must renounce 'lust and lucre'
for his own welfare. Even if he is unattached, and consequently not in
danger, still, *in order to set an example to others*, he must not keep
'kAminI and kAnchana' near him. The sannyasi, the man of renunciation, is a
world teacher. It is his example that awakens the spiritual consciousness
of men."  (So much for people wanting to continue other pursuits for loka
saMgraha).

One last point is that as Sri Ven Balakrishnan ji pointed out ,
desirelessness is a concomittant of GYAnam. If avidyA is destroyed, desires
for artha kAma drop away. The sequence of avidyA --> kAma -> karma is
fundamental. And external renunciation naturally follows.

What about a GYAnI eating etc? The Advaita tradition makes a clear
distinction between those actions that are for bare minimum protection of
sharIra-mAtra such as eating of alms etc. by a sannyasi, particularly when
food is available upon making efforts for it in a limited way.

To generalize from that austere maintenance of the body by a GYAnI to draw
equivalence with another person actively outwardly pursuing wealth and
pleasure is inappropriate.

Sri Ramana lived for years on frugal food, with just boiled rice with no
salt on innumerable occasions. In later years, he would be offered coffee
every day, regarded as a minor indulgence in those times. (1920s). He would
say that people offered him coffee, so that they could themselves indulge
in their coffee addiction by saying that after all, even the swami drinks
coffee!

The modern mind loves the idea that nothing  changes externally
lifestyle-wise. Its a purely mental thing. And many modern Gurus
particularly of neo-advaita leanings, are saying what the audience wants to
hear. In the case of Sri Ramana, he himself lived like a mendicant and told
people not to put the cart before the horse by a forced renunciation before
maturity. Thats authentic. RM endorsed his nephew's decision to lead a
nivRtti lifestyle.

Now, to draw a *doctrinal* conclusion about what exactly was Sri Ramana's
categorical position on external renunciation, is not possible by merely
quoting what he said to specific aspirants. We will find verses supporting
both views about the inevitability of external renunciation or its
orthogonality w.r.t GYAnam from the works. But if we choose to regard Sri
Ramana as part of the Advaita vedAnta tradition, then the views of all the
advaita Acharya's taken as a whole, have to be considered as final. Any
seeming divergence between Shankara and RM would in such a scheme be a
result of misunderstanding either of them.

Om
Raghav

On Thu, 17 Jun, 2021, 11:53 pm Ven Balakrishnan via Advaita-l, <