[Advaita-l] Shabda-ajanya-vritti-vishayatva of tuchch

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 21:09:49 EST 2021

Yes, it only applies to vyAvahArika abhAva, not tucCha. Shankaracharya is
saying it is adhikaraNAtmakam. But Sudhanshu ji is extending that to say
that kAraNatva abhAva also is bhAvAtmakam only.

If you look at the bhAShya, shankarAchArya uses the
term चतुर्विधानामभावानाम् - asat is not an abhAva that belongs to any of
the four - prAgabhAva, pradhvamsAbhAva, atyantAbhAva or anyonyAbhAva. The
naiyyAyika does not accept that asat falls within atyantAbhAva. He alleges
that asat cannot be the viShaya of the "nAsti" shabda prayoga itself. The
abhAva of asat has neither a pratiyogi nor an anuyogi.

Now kAraNatva of mRt is mithyA, but the kAraNatva of shashashRnga is not
mithyA but asat only. Similarly kAraNatva abhAva of a shashashRnga is asat
only. Why? Because both the pratiyogi (kAraNatva) and anuyogi
(shashashRnga) for such an abhAva are asat.

There is this famous verse:
एष  वन्ध्यासुतो  याति  खपुष्पकृतशेखरः ।
मृगतृष्णाम्भसि  स्नातः  शशशृङ्गधनुर्धरः ॥
This son of a barren woman is arriving, wearing skyflowers in his hair,
having bathed in the waters of the mirage and holding a bow made of a
hare's horn.

Here walking, having flowers in the hair, bathing, and holding a bow are
all vyAvahArika things. However in association with tucCha they are all
asat. Similarly kAraNatva / kAraNatva abhAva can be mithyA, but in
association with asat, they are asat only.

Regards
Venkatraghavan