[Advaita-l] Advaithic Question on the Nature of MAYA and Illusory nature of Reality

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 10:36:21 EDT 2020

You ask:

Isn't it Jeeva the same as Jeevatma / Atman (in us) / Brahman /Ishwara
(universal) ?  Is not Eshwara [(god) (Saguna Brahman)] the same as
Jeevatma/Atman (Nirguna Brahman) within everyone ?

Jiva is the same as Jivatma who is the same as Brahman.  We do not
straightaway say 'Jiva is Ishwara' since both these terms signify
difference in attributes of the two. Ishwara is omniscient,
omnipotent....whereas the jiva is not so. Ishwara, as Brahman does not see
difference between himself and jivas. But as Iswara, he has to be the ruler
of the jivas who are the 'ruled', Ishitavya. When we transcend the
attributed differences by knowledge, there is no difference between Ishwara
and jiva.

regards
subbu