[Advaita-l] Cause and Effect

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 01:11:37 EDT 2020

Namaste Subbu ji

On Mon, 10 Aug, 2020, 10:12 AM V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l, <

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 1:52 AM Durga Prasad Janaswamy via Advaita-l <
>
> > Hari Om,
> > Namaste.
> >
> > Should Cause (कारण)  and Effect (कार्य) have same level of reality (सम
> > सत्ता) ?  Are there any exceptions?
> >

> Though the rule is that the C and E have to be in the same level of
> reality, there are exceptions. Shankara, in the BSB gives example of a
> certain dream being indicative of an effect that is to be realized in the
> waking. He cites the Chandogya shruti where it is said 'if a man, in the
> course of a certain endeavor, sees a sumangalli (a woman who has a living
> husband), he succeeds in that endeavor.'
>
> We have instances of mantropadesha had in a dream, becoming the subject
> matter of the japa of that mantra in the waking after that particular
> dream.
>
> Srinivasa Ramanujan used to get solutions to many of his mathematical
> problems in dream (by the grace of Narasimha, as he has said) and the
> solutions did not get negated in the waking.

If I understand you right, these are examples where the kAraNam belongs to
a lower order of reality than kArya. This is one type. Another example you
mentioned - it also accounts for the non-sublatability of GYAnam.

In the case of pot and clay they are samAna-sattAka. This is the usual type
- different from the earlier one.

In the third type of cases where the kAraNam is a vivartopadAna kAraNam.
There, the kAraNam (rope) belongs to a higher order of reality while the
kArya (snake) belongs to a lower order of reality. This is the third
variety.

So can we conclude that all three possibilities are there.

Om
Raghav