[Advaita-l] DampatI in pUrvamImAmsA

subhanu saxena subhanu at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 18 18:24:46 CDT 2012

V Subramanian wrote: "During a conversation with Dr.Mani Dravid SastrigaL, upon my asking about
the status of the wife in a Vedic ritual, he cited the above concept and
the relevant references." Namaste, we have also the sruti reference (hope the svara markings show when posted) :

ayajño va eṣaḥ, yo’patnīkaḥ ॥ [TB 2.2.2.6, 3.3.3.1]

He who is without his wife is without the sacrifice.
We  also have the reference TAIII.8, the hotāra
mantra anuvāka beginning senendrasya..etc.  These mantras, known as the patnīṣṭakā
mantras are important as bricks are laid even for the wives of the devas, for
the sacrifice is considered incomplete without them. List members may also be interested to know that the wife also recited mantras at some ceremonies. In the pravargya the adhvaryu makes the wife recite certain mantras whilst secluded as protection for progeny

(tiraskritya yajur vāchayati-TA 5.6.12)This is in case the gaze towards the gharma vessel could burn the child RegardsSubhanu