[Advaita-l] Apoureshyatva - Faith or Logic?

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 4 11:05:20 CDT 2012

Namaste,

I think, many a times even the learned persons overdo their criticism just because they think that they can criticise any aspects while ignoring the other aspects in the development of the philosophical ideas as related to passage of time. A sound judgement is necessary in such cases. Some say that common sense is another name for sound judgement. The Indian philosophy is the science of the soul and like the natural physical evolution the mankind also experiences the evolution of the nature (of the mankind). The evolved nature needs an evolved body in an evolved society and that is how one takes rebirth in a changed environmentand not in the environment, where the earlier birth took place. They forget that even in the avataras of Lord Vishnu, as given in the fith veda, there is a sort of evolution. In keeping with the evolution the dharmashastras also have changes in their rules for different times (Yugas). While the Manu Smriti was the Smriti for the
 Satya yuga the main Smriti for the Treta yuga was the Gautama Smriti. Of course the smritis like Yajnavalkya were there to supplement in the areas not covered by the main Smriti. So also there are different Smrits for the Dwapara yuga and the Kali yuga. Thus it is not at all proper to criticise why a certain custom was not followed in the Satya yuga if that particular custom came into vogue in one of the later yugas. The different revelations came at different times in keeping with the evolution.

Regards,
Sunil KB