[Advaita-l] Apoureshyatva - Faith or Logic?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 05:04:31 CDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> For, if we say portions of the Veda became known to mankind in
> installments
> or at various periods of time, the anupapatti of all karma-s/vidhis
> nishedhas remaining unknown to man till they became known in driblets
> would
> arise.  This 'unfairness' was one of the things the Acharya highlighted in
> the first quoted reply.
>
> >  For that matter, whether veda-s revealed in piece-meal manner or all
> veda-s dumped at once, hardly matters considering the unawareness of
> veda-s & its validity among Hindu-s even today!!  So, the process,
> revealing or un-revealing portion of the veda-s is not responsible for the
> accruing pApa or puNya.  Ignorance of fire power does not stop anyone from
> burning his finger..Vedic injunctions and prohibitions and resultant
> phala-s also would be like that only.

What is meant in the Acharya's reply is like this: When there are no rules
at all laid down, the Authority cannot punish someone for violation or
reward someone for adhering. If they are laid down, then ignorance of law
cannot be an excuse, for it is expected that people coming under the
jurisdiction of those rules are supposed to be aware of them.  In the well
known upanayana context: prAgupanayanAt kAmAchaaraH kAmvaadaH
kAmabhakShaH.  After upanayana all this is supposed to stop.  If no codes
are there at all to tell us what constitutes kAmAchAraH, etc. no one can be
held guilty of violating this after upanayana.

subrahmanian.v