[Advaita-l] VedaprAmANya in Advaita

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Apr 6 02:30:25 CDT 2010

tatra pitA apitA bhavati mAtA amAtA lokA alokA devA adevA vedA avedA yajnA
ayajnAH -

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I remember that the words 'vedA avedA' have been differently  interpreted
by dvaitins ( I think it was Sri Krishna Kadiri prabhuji in vAdAvaLi) to
maintain the eternality of scriptures.  I dont know what madhva says in
his commentary.  Krishna prabhuji had  said that veda here means 'knowing'
and not the scriptures/shAstra. Anyway, as per advaita, shAstra is the
pramANa in the sense that it only removes our ignorance about Atman /
svarUpa & it does not objectify brahman as such and such an entity...We
can talk of pramANa, prameyAdi vyavahAra till the realization of jnAna.
Once jnAna dawns there can be no talk of the means and objects of
knowledge etc.  Because, shankara says in geeta bhAshya that the antya
pramANa takes away the very nature of being a knower (jnAtru) wrongly
pertaining to Atman thus far...while taking this away the shAstra (antya
pramANa) invalidates itself as a means of knowledge.  Hence, the shruti
vAkya 'atra veda aveda'.

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar