[Advaita-l] vedic chanting on cd's

ravi chandrasekhara vadhula at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 10 22:40:55 CST 2009

Pranam to all,

I have dharmic question, albiet it is probably a Smartha related question.

Nowadays, one can purchase cd's on Rudra, Purusha Suktha, etc.

My question is it dharmically acceptable to listen and learn from it (especily cd's by vedic scholars/purohits e.g. Radhakrishna Shastrigal) ?

Points
1.Those that are Dvija males, esp Braahmana males, who have undergone upanayana have adhikhara to learn it, but may not find an appropriate veda teacher, esp in the West.
2.I do not think based on learning from cd's alone; one who claim to be a purohit or veda teacher.

Counterpoints
1.People may claim to to be a veda teacher or purohit after listening to cd's.
2.May not learn correct pronounciation and hence cause malaffect.
3.Non-Dvijas, females, and unitiated males of Dvija varnas may learn; which would be undharmic as they have no adhikara.

Answers from learned on the list and from comments made by Shankaracharyas known to people would be welcomed.

Dhanyavaad,
Ravi Chandrasekhara