[Advaita-l] Vol 50, Issue 8_Guidelines

Guy Werlings werlings.guy at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jun 15 08:43:58 CDT 2007

Dear SrI Ravi,

Thank you very much for reminding us once more very wise and useful
guidelines. In a few instances you might even have been tougher.

You wrote:

2. (.) Nowadays, people simply stick to their position no matter what.

That is really quite a major problem of our times: people are just sticking
to their personal opinions - only in the proportion of the satisfaction they
derive from them. But satisfaction is by no means a criterion of truth.

 Already in the 1930:s, RAjasEvAsakta V. subrahmaNya Iyer had noticed during
his trips in the West and his numerous meetings and talks with European
philosophers and scientists (especially physicists) that the latter were
strongly clinging to their beliefs and opinions - e.g. as to the causal
relation - just because they were obtaining from them comfort or
satisfaction and although they knew that those beliefs and opinions might be
false.

(.) Hence, beyond a point, debates become meaningless.

Well I am afraid debates are always meaningless because as I pointed out
recently, people engaged in debates most often wish to establish that they
are right and that their opponent is wrong. But none of them is searching
for truth. And if debates had to have a meaning at all, it should be to
reach truth. To be right or wrong has no place in philosophy. As shrii V. S.
Iyer used to say: "Philosophy as such is an impossibility to him who does
not start with an exact definition of Truth".

praNAm-s

Guy W.