[Advaita-l] RE: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 45, Issue 23

Krishnamurthy Ramakrishna puttakrishna at verizon.net
Mon Jan 29 15:18:59 CST 2007

pranAms sri anbu ji,
I am unable to understand where Krishna has told Arjuna that he is
not entitled to sanyAsa in the second chapter? He only said, your duty is to
fight! The message in gIta is progressive. After doing karma one progresses
to karma yOga (3rd chapter); The fifth chapter is devoted to karma sanyAsa,
when one has graduated from karma yOga (Arjuna was not ready for sanyAsa;
his vishAda - despondency in first chapter is testimony to this; Recognizing
this, as a well wisher Krishna asked him to fight). sanyAsa is not
necessarily declaring so. sanyAsa is abandoning kartritva - doership.
However, abandoning doership is almost impossible where fruits are expected
via a sankalpa. sanyAsa offers a path where a formal expectation of fruit
via a sankalpa is rejected.
Please quote the source where only brahmins are entitled to sanyAsa is said?
If a sanyAsi is beyond varNa, why the restriction on sanyAsa for brahmins
only?
Hari OM
K. Ramakrishna.