[Advaita-l] Bhagavad Geeta 4.7, 4.8

Viswanathan N vishy1962 at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 06:29:34 CDT 2006

Siddhartahagaru

  Ishwara is figmnet of imagination? Yevaru chepparu? (who said so?)
  Infact you are that Ishwara ! (Truely) so your existance is imagination?
You are indeed Ishwara... but veiled by big wall called " Ego" and veil of ignorance.
  siddhatha thinks about wall when I said " you".

  Once you get rid of this ignorance, the ego also disspaears and you see "You" . Than' You' certainly have comapssion on you and everyone in this existance? Than as you said only " Your" efforts that can save  you, right!!

  Than your dobt about slokas 4.7 and 4.8 of BG. What Krishna says is that that Bhrahman had maifested in his form to restore the balance (dharma / adaharma and aswell between various gunas) and wud continue to manifest in suitable form whenever the balance is spoilt. Here Krishna is manifestation of Bhramhan as you are now. But diff is he is aware and u are not, and in addition Krishna /Rama/Shnakara/Buddha are of very high potent manifestaion compared to us. (Say if you are 1 watt Budhha could have been 1000kv and Krsihna was 10000 kv..just for comaprison).

  This is my understanding and hope you too get some clarity.Now the gola for us is to burn this veil of ignorance and destroy the wall of ego.

  Viswanath

Annapureddy Siddhartha Reddy <annapureddy at gmail.com> wrote:
  Sadanandaji,
Pranamamulu. Thanks for your extensive comments. You made these two
statements:
"I bring in Iswara, who is different from me as the creator of this
universe, which is
different from me." and
"Yes, Iswara can save us by his infinite compassion, if we let Him."

These appear to me to be contradictory. When the very notion of Isvara is a
figment of our imagination, how can Isvara save us. Any help can only come
from us, from the purification of our mind -- is it not? I am comfortable
with this position, but is this the position of traditional Advaita Vedanta
too?

Also, certain verses of the Bhagavad Geeta, like 4.7 and 4.8, seem untenable
if we
consider Isvara as only an imaginary entity. I am comfortable with this
position too, but
I wonder how traditional Advaita Vedanta would have defended itself against
criticism from other schools (as to which is a faithful interpretation of
the Bhagavad Geeta).

Please let me know if I missed something. Thanks.

A.Siddhartha.

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org