[Advaita-l] RE: Vedic Shakhas for kshatriyas and vaishyas?

Satish Arigela satisharigela at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 11:36:51 CST 2005

--- sidha at omkarananda-ashram.org wrote:

> Sir, I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with you.
> "Svaadhyayo'dhyetavyah"
> is not a statement only for men, it is for all.

True that it is for all. The only difference is that
women and the fourth caste do svadhyaya by using the
puranas and agamas not by reciting veda-s.

> I think women should read the Vedas. Therefore she
> is going into the
> correct direction, and sorry sir, but I think you
> ought to follow her.

Following such deluded ones like her will certainly
lead to disaster.

> I can't understand when there are nearly 11 Rishikas
> (Female Seers) in the
> Rig-veda, to whom Divine Mantras were reveled by the
> Supreme Reality, how
> come somebody can say that women shouldn't read the
> Vedas. What about
> Gargi and Maitreyi?
> When the Supreme Godhead has been worshipped in so
> many female forms, like
> Ida, Aditi, Ushas, Sarasvati in the Vedas itself,
> how can somebody claim
> that the Vedas shouldn't be read by ladies?

I fail to see why or how any of the above means that
women and non-dvija-s should recite vedas.

> Even if the Puranas mention such statements, then
> they should be
> considered "avaidika" i.e. against the Vedas. And
> doesn't Manu ji mention
> that any Smriti that is against the Veda shouldn't
> be accepted.

The same Manu says that women and shudras are not
supposed to recite vedas etc.
Women had adhikara in the past but it they are barred
from doing so for this yuga just like niyoga and other
things are to be avoided in Kali Yuga.
Shudras never had adhikara to learn vedas before.

> Please make it clear that in the Yajur Veda the
> Supreme Reality has
> clearly mentioned that "I'm uttering this divine
> auspicious voice for all
> people, for the Brahmanas, Kshatriyas, Shudras,
> Vaishyas, for those who
> belong to me and for those who are not related to
> me" (Shukla Yajur Veda
> 26-2).

  What it means is that teach the essence of supreme
to everyone. Since women and shudras cant learn veda
that "auspicious voice" should be taught to them using
puranas and agamas.

> How then can somebody claim that the Vedas should be
> read by some
> particular people. They are the words of God, and
> belong to everybody in
> this world.
>They don't belong to anybody particular
> in India, or even to
> India alone.

Vedas are the exclusive property of Brahmanas.
Kshatriyas and Vaishyas can learn them if a Brahmana
is willing to teach. That they are not for everyone is
mentioned not only in the puranas but also in the
Agamas.
This is also said in various agamas/tantras.

A scripture which orders us "to make
> the entire world Arya,
> i.e. noble" how on earth can somebody claim it to
> belong to any particular
> country, cast, sex or religion.

 No body is claiming. The devatas themselves said that
vedas are the property of Brahmanas.

> A Book which tells us that "let me look upon all
> creatures with a friendly
> eye", how can it teach us killing animals? It is all
> misinterpretation
> from the beginning to end.

The same books presribe the usage of animals. Devi
Bhagavatha for one says that killing for a sacrifice
is not killing and hence nothing is being killed when
an animal is cut during a yaga.

> Let me make it clear, I have been studying Vedanta
> from some very
> traditional masters since the last 20 years. I have
> studied the
> Prasthanatraya Bhashyam with Ananda Giri's
> commentary from orthodox
> traditional masters.

  Great!

>And after I studied the Vedas
> myself, I came to the
> conclusion that many of the traditional beliefs or
> statements in Vedanta
> regarding the Vedas are totally wrong and are
> existing because most of the
> Vedantin simply didn't study the Samhitas.

 Obviously a wrong conclusion.

 Most of these might have been discussed earlier were
adddressed before. You can search the archives for
discussions here.
http://escribe.com/religion/advaita/index.html

I think you need to do more research and spare us of
these long lectures.

Rgds