[Advaita-l] An adhyAsa challenge

Sankaran Aniruddhan ani at ee.washington.edu
Sun Jun 8 13:41:13 CDT 2003

namaste Sri Jay,

> Why call it a challenge?   It is understanding of adhyAsa.

I think many people on the list may be feeling
uncomfortable with the slightly aggressive nature of your
postings. For example, I quote from the end of one of your
postings: "So,  looks like adhyArOpa-apavAda is needed
only for those who are  unable to find consistency in what
they read in Agama." (This is just my opinion about the
reason, of course)

> > Premise: logic and experience only, no quotes from
> > shruti or smR^iti.
> >

> If you are not interested in vEdaanta,  I am not interested
> in any discussion with you.  But,  if you think adhyAsa is
> according to what is in shruti-smriti-sootras,  then only
> I am interested.   Therefore,  this premise is not acceptable.

I just went through your postings on adhyAsa again, and I
found 2 (or a little more) quotes from vivaraNa pramEya
sangraha and none from the Sruti, smriti etc. I am sure
that there must be several Sruti/smriti quotes from the
advaita side to support this position in their works,
including the Brahmasutra-bhashya, Naishkarmya siddhi, VPS
etc. Maybe you can quote these for us when discussing the
different types of adhyasa.

> Thus,  jeeva is the deha-abhimAniNI or the enabler
> of body by being in it.  Deha is jada, it can not act on its own.
> That is the connection between the two.

That still doesn't explain why two totally contradictary
things, of the nature of consciousness and unconsciousness
(likened to light and darkness) should be super-imposed
together in normal experience.

Aniruddhan

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam