[Advaita-l] An adhyAsa challenge

Jay Nelamangala jay at r-c-i.com
Sun Jun 8 13:13:24 CDT 2003

Mr. Kartik Jayanaryanan,

Namaste.

> I hereby challenge you to a debate, you simply have to
> terms of the debate:

Why call it a challenge?   It is understanding of adhyAsa.
You are welcome to show where my posting on adhyAsa
is not according to vivaraNa-pramEya-samgraha of Sri
VidyAraNya.

> Premise: logic and experience only, no quotes from
> shruti or smR^iti.

If you are not interested in vEdaanta,  I am not interested
in any discussion with you.  But,  if you think adhyAsa is
according to what is in shruti-smriti-sootras,  then only
I am interested.   Therefore,  this premise is not acceptable.

> I declare that you and your school are incapable of
> providing a satisfactory answer to the following
> question:

Declarations and  pramANas are two different things.
If you declare with pramANa, we will discuss it.
If you want to just declare,  have fun.  Don't involve me.

> A co-existence of the Self that is of the nature of
> consciousness with the body that is of the nature of
> the unconscious ought to be impossible (indeed, one
> might as well consider light to co-exist with
> darkness), yet, it so happens that people perceive a
> connection between the Self and the body - how do you
> explain this?

A little bit of study of Geetha,  tells us that body is like
a shirt that we wear.  The jeeva wears it till it gets old, then
throws it away and gets another shirt (body).
So, when the jeeva gets a new body, we say a child is born.
When a jeeva throws away his body, we say the person died.
That is how we explain it.

Thus,  jeeva is the deha-abhimAniNI or the enabler
of body by being in it.  Deha is jada, it can not act on its own.
That is the connection between the two.

> Consequences: if the referees decide that your answer
> to the above question is invalid, then you will
> immediately quit your postings on adhyAsa, else I'll
> quit mine.

If moderators ask me to quit,  I will respect their decision.
Why don't you check with  Jaladhar vyAs first?

I would like to hear from other moderators as well.

Thanks and regards,