[Advaita-l] An adhyAsa challenge

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 12:16:11 CDT 2003

--- Jay Nelamangala <jay at r-c-i.com> wrote:

> It is owing to such superposition we have such
> experiences as
> "I have the body",  "This body is mine" etc.  It is
> possible to
> hold that we have got these experiences because
> Atman and body etc
> are just in such relation as substance and quality
> are.

Mr. Jay Nelamangala,

The signal-to-noise ratio on this list is unusually
low compared to any other list of its kind, and I find
particularly your posts on adhyAsa possessing no
understanding of the fundamentals of adhyAsa.

I hereby challenge you to a debate, you simply have to
terms of the debate:

Referees: advaita-l list moderators.

Premise: logic and experience only, no quotes from
shruti or smR^iti.

The debate:

(1) Surely, you will accept that the Self is
conscious.

(2) Surely, you will also accept that the body is
inert or unconscious.

(3) We observe, as a matter of experience, that one
assumes a relationship between the Self and the body
("I am tall", "I am typing this email" etc.).

I declare that you and your school are incapable of
providing a satisfactory answer to the following
question:

A co-existence of the Self that is of the nature of
consciousness with the body that is of the nature of
the unconscious ought to be impossible (indeed, one
might as well consider light to co-exist with
darkness), yet, it so happens that people perceive a
connection between the Self and the body - how do you
explain this?

Consequences: if the referees decide that your answer
to the above question is invalid, then you will
immediately quit your postings on adhyAsa, else I'll
quit mine.

-Kartik