jIvanmukta's grace

Venkatraman.Chandrasekaran at NOKIA.COM Venkatraman.Chandrasekaran at NOKIA.COM
Sun Sep 8 13:09:58 CDT 2002

Dear Ravishankar,
   Please re-read my mail. I have said "The samaadhi of the Guru of Bodhendra Swamigal".

   So I think you and I are referring to the same Acharya. I am glad that there is one more
attestant to this story.

   Regards,
   chandrasekaran.

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Ravishankar Venkatraman [mailto:sunlike at HOTMAIL.COM]
Sent: Sunday, September 08, 2002 8:42 AM
To: ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG
Subject: Re: jIvanmukta's grace

>I am not sure what people have to say about the nightly
>sancharam of realised souls near their own adhishTaana.
>
>One instance is:
> The samaadhi of the Guru of Bodhendra
> Swamigal of Kanchi (16th cent) was not known to anyone.
I believe that this story needs a small correction.
The Acharya, whom you mentioned was not Sri Bodhendra Saraswathi in Govindapuram, but His Guru Viswadhikendra (Atma Bodha). His samadhi is in vadavambalam near villupuram in TamilNadu. Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati swamigal, while travelling through the village, wandered in the fields with a group of devotees. His Holiness asked them to dig a particular place, and doing so, they found a skull. The person, who came into contact with the skull, fell into a state of trance or temporary samadhi immeadietely, asking everyone to stop digging. On recovering, he mentioned that he saw a sanyasi in His Virat Swarupa, with hundreds of brahmins chanting Upanishads, before Him. Eventually, the land was given to Kanchi mutt,and an adhistAnam was built.
The story of Sri Bodhendra Saraswathi Swami is different. He started the Bhajana Sampradaya in South India, with two ardent and equally great followers - Sri Venkatesa Ayyaval of Tiruvisanallur, and Sri Sadguru Swamigal of Marudanallur. They were all great devotees of Sri Rama, and chanted Rama Nama continuously. Sri Bodhendra Saraswathi Swami sat on the banks of Cauvery, one quiet evening, and asked some kids to cover Him with the river sand. He attained videha mukti, and the river water started rising. People did not know ahat happened and where He was. Sri sadguru Swamigal started to look for the vibration of Rama Nama along the river, and found the body in one place. His adhishtanam is in Govindapuram. It is said that even today people feel the presence of Sri Bodhendra sarawati Swami, chanting Rama nama in the nights.
My 2c worth.
Ravi

  _____

Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: Click Here <http://g.msn.com/1HM1ENUS/c152??PI=44364>