Saints and their opinions

K Anand carex at VSNL.COM
Sun May 19 02:40:04 CDT 2002

I have been watching keenly many discussions on this list. Especially controversial ones like this.
I find that during the course of these discussions on Dharma, Smriti and shastras, some member comes up with a quote from some of the acclaimed Brahmajnaanis (Sri Ramakrishna, Ramana Maharshi, Sai Baba, Samarth Ramdas etc.) regarding something they said on some controversial Dharmic injunctions like Food habits, Women, Vedic Animal sacrifices, Vedic Karmaanushtaanams which are somehow picked out (mostly out of context !!!) and projected as verdict on the issue.

We have to understand that these jnaanis mostly donot have any formal spiritual education and are so bcos of their spiritual efforts in thier past lives. So they have no idea as to what is right and what is wrong. (I am not trying to underrate anybody, bcos I hold all these ppl very high) and our ppl go to them asking irrelevant questions and get some answers which they consider as superior to what is stated in the Shastras and if they are contradictory to the Shastras - the former is accepted as the right thing. This is indeed ridiculous.

Just my opinion......comments welcome.

Regards
Anand K