300 Million Hindus to Convert to Christianity?

Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Oct 12 17:07:49 CDT 2001

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> This story is completely devoid of anything resembling a fact.  It all
> boils down to the allegations of a "Dr. K.P."  Think about it.  Doesn't
> common sense tell you if there was a purpose who could speak for 300
> million people, we would know a bit more about him than a set of initials?
> Doesn't a passing acquaintence with sociology make you skeptical of doing
> *anything* en masse, let alone something major like changing religion?

Yes, it certainly does make any reader skeptical.

Nevertheless, it should be cause for concern. Christian missionaries have
always set their eyes on converting the "lower caste" members of Hinduism,
and have never kept this a secret. Christianity is, after all, a highly
politically motivated religion, and even sober analysts are of the opinion
that the dalits can be easily converted.

You can visit http://www.inwave.com/~webmastr/ChronAug1999View.htm

"Even in India, a land soon to surpass China in population, a staggering
one-fifth of the population are Dalits, the so-called Untouchables, who
represent a very fertile field for organized evangelism by any major faith
with the will to reach them: Will that be Islam or Christianity?"

I hope something can be done to make the dalits feel pride in belonging to
a rich religious tradition that can help them spiritually. If not, I
believe it is in their own best interest to embrace a religion that will.

> It's ironic we've been talking about the heights of science the past few
> days but the need for something much more basic--viveka is underscored.
>
> Please don't spread this sort of thing around, it only induces hysteria
> and poisons the already shockingly low level of public discourse in Indian
> society.

I was only trying to help in a constructive exchange of views :-)

> --

-Kartik