Can iishvara pull out a jiiva from bondage?

Ravisankar Mayavaram miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 15 07:35:00 CST 2000

I understand that mukti or liberation is not something given to a jiiva,
but it is the realization of one's true nature as brahman. Hence, it would
be not correct to ask can God give mukti.

But, same thing can be asked as,  can God remove avidya of a jiiva? What
is the role of God in the removal of avidya according to advaita-vedanta?

When I realize that I am helpless and God is my only support and means to
get me out this ocean of samsara, and I take refuge in HER. Does not that
dependence, put the responsibility on HER shoulders? This casting away of
one's bhaaram on God is called as bhara nyaasam by shriivaishNava-s.

(Of course, a more important question is "what does it mean when one says
I have taken refuge in God", and what exactly does this sharaNagatii
corresponds to, in the conduct of the devotee. I think there lies the
answer)

Comments and corrections are welcome.

Ravi

na jnAyate ma hitaM nitarAM upAyo
dIno.asmi devI samayAcharaNAkShamo.asmi |
tat.h tvAM ananya sharaNaH  sharaNaM prapadye
mInAkShI vishva jananIM  jananI mamaiva ||