Can iishvara pull out a jiiva from bondage?

elmec elmec at GIASBG01.VSNL.NET.IN
Sat Mar 18 10:09:25 CST 2000

(I am sorry if this is repeated)

Ravisankar Mayavaram wrote:

> But, same thing can be asked as,  can God remove avidya of a jiiva? What
> is the role of God in the removal of avidya according to advaita-vedanta?

As long as a devotee feels that God is different from himself - where
there is
'anya bhaava', and he genuinely wants to reach Him/Her , he can be
compared to
a child which is crying to be lifted up and carried by its mother. When
the
mother realises that the child is truly in distress, which mother will
not
pick up the child immediately and console it ? But the call has to come
from
the child first. The mother will not simply pick up the child as long as
the
child is playing comfortably without even remembering her ! God only
wants us
to remember Him and yearn for His company and there He will be to pick
us up
and make us His own ! The river Ganges does not enter our house and fill
up
all our pots in the kitchen ! We must take the pot to the river and She
will
happily come with us to our house, isn't it ? So when we pray God
earnestly to
show us a way to reach Him, He will definitely do so by taking us to a
Guru -
why take us to a Guru - the Guru Himself will come in search of a Sat
Shishya
! Did not Shuka muni himself  come to where Parikshit was meditating ?

Regards,
Hari Om,
Latha Vidyaranya

--