Maya

Vivekananda Centre vivekananda at BTINTERNET.COM
Sun Feb 21 11:57:00 CST 1999

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Vivekananda Centre wrote:

let us get back to the main theme

'The snake in the rope DOES  illustrate the relationship between maya and
 brahman.'

 You have kindly said that the rope should not be taken a a rope but as
 Brahman and you have also kindly resent the message explaining that it is
 like viewing a picture.
 You view Brahman as you view the rope?  Then brahman becomes a mere subject
 of your imagination.

Sri Jaladhaji has kindly explained further: -
The conceptual error you are making is confusing frames of reference.  For
example, a common type of Maths problem goes like this: "If a train leaves
London at 120 mph and another train leaves Manchester at 100 mph, at what
point will they meet?" Is it an acceptable answer to say "Well, I looked
at the schedule and there aren't any such trains." No, it is understood
that for the purposes of this problem, the trains are being mentioned.  It
isn't about trains, its about a concept of algebra.  In the same way the
snake-rope example illusrates superimposition.  Nothing more.  Do not read
anything else into it.

jay writes

Sir - I am a student of Maths and can appreciate the algebra above. Provided
you give all parameters about the trains we can work out when they will
meet. We do no need timetable for it. The concepts are both of the relative
world and the relative world can work out the details you require very
easily. How does this solve the problem of explaining the relationship
between maya and brahman - do we think the relationship of maya and brahman
is this trivial?

In your last sentence you say:
'snake-rope example illustrates suprimposition nothing more. Do not read
anything else into it.'

Do you mean to say that the statement we started with
'snake in the rope DOES illustrate relationship between maya and brahman'.
perhaps may not be the best example ?

I also agree with you and take in your point that I have to continue to work
on this until the doubts in my mind are cleared.

Sri Jaldhariji has kindly advised jay:
A good way to do this would be to read the works of learned Gurus in
Shankaracharyas parampara.  This has all been gone over many times before.

jay replies:
Yes I have been a humble student of Vedanta all my life and say everyday I
live I continue to learn. This humility is essential for me otherwise my
spiritual progress will stop.

jay
Vivekananda Centre London