What is adhikAra?

Vaidya N. Sundaram sundaram at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Mon Jun 1 14:52:38 CDT 1998

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> > From: Vidyasankar Sundaresan <vidya at cco.caltech.edu>
> >
> > Before we take this to mean
> > something tangible for today's world, let us first ask ourselves
> > (especially those on this list who are of brAhmaNa birth) if we have
> > always spoken the truth. If yes, and this is really so, I salute you.
> > If no, let us honestly accept that birth in a brAhmaNa family does not
> > entitle one to any presumptions.
>
> You are right.  There is no one here who can claim never to have lied.
> However part of the Brahman worldview is the ideal of never telling lies.
> Despite reality falling short of the ideal, that we feel an obligation to
> be truthful (bluntness on my part is because I value truth over peoples
> feelings) gives us the right to presume.  This applies to other situations
> too.  For instance, despite only one person on this list meeting the
> minimum qualifications for Vedantic sadhana, we presume to talk about
> Moksha etc.

Please pardon me for addressing only one of the points of the whole
argument.

 Are we trying to establish here that;
 If a Brahmana Then speak the Truth "ALWAYS"
 If speak Truth "ALWAYS" then a Brahmana
 If ever lied, never a Brahmana.

 I am not so comfortable with this line of reasoning. Again, quoting an
example: why does Vishwamitra make Harishchandra go through all those
miserable events? It all started with Indra asking Vasista in his court (i.e
Indra's court): Is there one who has always spoken the truth?  Vasista's
reply was, Yes. Harishchandra is one such, and he has not even thought of
lying even when his mother's womb, and Vishwamitra tries to prove Vasista
wrong, as he is so fond of doing.

 The point I am trying to make is, Harishchandra says in the end that if he
has been a true "Kshatriya" etc etc ... thereby denoting that he has spoken
the truth always, is aware that he has spoken nothing but the truth always
and is also aware that he is a kshatriya. And I believe it is also a very
well recognised fact that to have one who has "never" lied is a "Rare" event
with very low probability. So, being a Brahmana, has nothing to do with
saying the Truth "always". Truth is what should be said, irrespective of the
status / stature of the person. The qualification or disqualification from
being a Brahmana does not arise because of Truth of the lack of it.

> Despite reality falling short of the ideal, that we feel an obligation to
> be truthful (bluntness on my part is because I value truth over peoples
> feelings) gives us the right to presume.  This applies to other situations

 Where is the "obligation"?. Truth is Truth, irrespective of perceptions.  It
is better called "duty" (to say the Truth). And "to presume" comes not from
feeling an "obligation to the Truth", rather an feeling of "Knowing better"
and hence "inform the other of his/her mistake"

Cheers,
Vaidya.

                      Vaidya N. Sundaram
 Kandavar Vindilar      : Those who have seen (Brahman) have not spoken
  Vindavar Kandilar     :   those who speak (about It) have not seen (It)
    satyakAma, satyasaMkalpa, Apatsakha, kAkutsa, shrIman nArAyaNa
        puruShottaMa, shrI ranganAtha, mama nAtha, namostute.