Unknowability of the self.

Mark Hovila hovila at FOXINTERNET.NET
Sun Jun 22 01:30:21 CDT 1997

Speaking about doubting enlightenment, I just finished reading an
outstanding book.  It is called Collision With the Infinite, by Suzanne
Segal.  This is an autobiographical account by a woman who experienced the
sudden and permanent loss of her personal self (which she realized never
really existed anyway).  For a long time her mind kept looking at the
experience and sent the message that something was wrong.  Eventually she
realized that not only is there no personal self, there is also no other,
and the emptiness she had experienced since the loss of her self was now
described as "vastness."  I have no doubt that this is an authentic case of
self-realization.  The book clarified many important points for me and I
highly recommend it to everyone.

Mark

joke"...