[Advaita-l] 'VinAyaka' in ShAnkara GItA BhAShyam

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Jul 6 14:10:58 CDT 2011

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011, Dr. Yadu Moharir wrote:

> Vinayaka is a very popular name at least in Maharashtra. Then,  why
> would some one name their child Vinaayaka?

I think I did mention this before.  The sattvika Ganesha who is identified
as parabrahman in the atharvashirsha is called Vinayaka because he is the
master and controller of the Vinayakas.  Just as Rudra is the leader of
the Rudras (who are often described as malicious or fearsome) and Aditya
is the leader of the Adityas.  So parents can rest assured they are not
naming their babies after demons if they name them Vinayaka.