[Advaita-l] 'VinAyaka' in ShAnkara GItA BhAShyam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 20:18:08 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 5:08 AM, Dr. Yadu Moharir <ymoharir at yahoo.com> wrote:

> QUESTION:
>
> Vinayaka is a very popular name at least in Maharashtra. Then,  why would
> some
> one name their child Vinaayaka? Any comments and thoughts would be
> appreciated.

I was surprised to come across two names in recent times:

1. a certain Dr.  Ravaneswaran - This name appears to be not very uncommon
2. ChaturAnan Mishra - Among the trimurtis, Shiva and Vishnu are very common
as names.  I have not come across, at least in the south, anyone naming a
child after Brahmaa,  although names like PrajApati are there perhaps as
surnames/family names.

Regards