[Advaita-l] 'VinAyaka' in ShAnkara GItA BhAShyam

Dr. Yadu Moharir ymoharir at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 16:16:14 CDT 2011

Namaste:

I am not aware of name Vinaayaka occurring in atharvashiirSha !?
I know of ekadnata, gaNapataye, la.mbodara, shuurpkarNa, vighnanaashine shivasutaaya,

If there is a paaThabheda, kindly send me the reference.
As per various pauraaNaka stories suggest that all of them boil down to
that Vinaayaka becomes the leader (gaNapati or gaNaadhyaksha) only when
Shiva realized that he can guard the "gateway" without compromising his
dharma (without exception).

Etymology of name Vinaayaka as per Vaamana puraaNa (28. 71-72)

naayakeNa vinaa devi tava bhuuto.api putrakaH || yasmaajjaatastato naamnaa bhavoShyati vinaayakaH

In my previous mail I had given few references that document the characteristics of Vinaayaka.

Mudgala puraaNa (7.12) talks about the generic traits as "vighnaraaja"

namaste vighnaraajaaya vighnaanaaM vighnakaaraNe | mahaavighnaprashaantaaya devadevesha te namH ||

In any case I do not see any favorable characteristics attributed to Vinaayaka.

So there is possibility for avoiding the trouble from Vinaayakaa's &/or rudragaNaa's "peace offering" was practiced.  This is very similar to "a Dada" (a bully, a leader) from the neighborhood who gets respect and/or the protection money?

Theses Vinaayakaa's gaining the status as "GaNa[pati or GaNaadhyaksha" (political Leaders) could have contributed to the current state of political arrogance and corruption at every door step?

Or could this be a simple clever trick to confuse the shivagaNaa's to moove on to others as Vinaayaka is already present in the household?

Thanks for responding.

Rgds

Dr. Yadu