[Advaita-l] Definition of Ashrayatva and Vishayatva

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 05:14:02 EST 2024

On Sat, Jan 27, 2024 at 2:01 PM Venkatraghavan S <agnimile at gmail.com> wrote:

> Namaste Subbuji
> Thank you.
>
> The Ashraya of avidyA in the bhAmati prasthAna is the jIva.
>
> Some examples:
>
> 1) in the adhyAsa bhAShya commentary he says that the locus of avidyA is
> the samsAri jIvAtma - तदनेनान्तःकरणाद्यवच्छिन्नः प्रत्यगात्मा
> इदमनिदंस्वरूपश्चेतनः कर्ता भोक्ता कार्यकारणाविद्याद्वयाधारोऽहङ्कारास्पदं
> संसारी सर्वानर्थसम्भारभाजनं जीवात्मा इतरेतराध्यासोपादानः, तदुपादानश्चाध्यास
> इत्यनादित्वाद् बीजाङ्कुरवन्नेतरेतराश्रयत्वमित्युक्तं भवति ।
>
> 2) नाविद्या ब्रह्माश्रया, किं तु जीवे, सा त्वनिर्वचनीयेत्युक्तम् , तेन
> नित्यशुद्धमेव ब्रह्म ।
>
> 3) He addresses the charge of the samkshepa shAriraka of पूर्वसिद्धतमसो हि
> पश्चिमो नाश्रयो भवति नापि गोचरः by saying that as both the jIvabhAva and
> avidyA are beginningless, it is possible for the jIva to be the locus of
> avidyA while at the same time being dependent on it for his jIvabhAva, like
> the seed and the sapling -

Thanks for the passages from the Bhamati.  Maybe the two, Vachaspati Misra
and Sarvajnatman were somewhat close contemporaries. In the Brihadaranyaka
bhashya 1.4.10 there is a discussion where Bhagavatpada raises a question:
How can Brahman be the avidyAkartR?  And replies that since no other
sentient entity other than Brahman is there as per the mantra, by default
Brahman has to be the locus (and object) of avidya.  This mantra is about
Brahman getting the aham brahmasmi jnana and shedding its finite jiva bhava
and acquiring the sarvatma bhava.

warm regards
subbu