[Advaita-l] mRtyunjaya mantra commentary

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Apr 23 12:25:50 EDT 2024

<On Sat, 20 Apr 2024, Raghav Kumar Dwivedula wrote:

> Thank you for the references of Uvatacharya and Mahidharacharya who say
> that, उर्वारुक has to be (by implication) some fruit like the jujube or badari
> (ber) which fall of by themselves when ripe (Since cucumbers as a matter of
> common experience do not fall off on their own.)

Some additional comments on this.

My mother told me that when she was young they used to pick the bor that
fell on the ground.  Some of the more intrepid girls would climb the trees
to pick the fruit but you could also just shake it and they would fall if
ripe.

I was wrong about the amarakoSha because I was looking at the completely
wrong bit.  In fact in vanauShadhi varga 36 it gives karkandhUrbadarI kolI
as three synonyms.

The amarakoSha also has the word iravAru in vanauShadhi varga 155:
iravAruH karkaTI striyau.  The rAmAshramI TikA adds uravAru and eravAru as
synonyms and for the former says "iti shruteH" quoting the exact text we
are discussing.  The author Swami RamAshrama (in his pUrvAshrama he was
BhAnuji dikShita the brother of bhaTToji dikShita and father of nAgoji or
nAgeSha bhaTTa) was a Mahratta Brahmana living in Kashi. He says all these
words are synonyms for kAkaDI which in Marathi (and Gujarati) definitely
means cucumber.

The western dictionaries mistakenly refer to karkandhU/badarI as Zizyphus
jujuba.  This the Black Jujube which is cultivated in India now (and what
the jujube candy is made from) but is actually indigenous to Arabia and
Persia.  The Indian jujube or Bor/Ber is Zizyphus Mauritania a related
species.  In fact there are many species of Jujube and many words for the
different varieties in Sanskrit which are sometimes used indiscriminately.
However it is far too much of a stretch to equate cucumber with jujube.
One or the other must be correct but which one remains a mystery.

One more note, I was surprised to know this mantra is in the arANyaka
portion of KYV.  Given its' importance in shrauta (as we discussed some
time back[1]) I would have expected it to be in the saMhitA.

One more one more note! :-) Looking at that earlier post again, I see in
footnote 4, I touch upon this subject and speculate that urvAru might mean
gourd. This is probably wrong too though amarakoSha vanauShadhi varga 155
immediately before the words for karkaTI gives kuShmANDa and karkAra as
words meaning gourd.  I don't know if gourd easily separates from the
stem.

[1]https://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2017-March/044786.html