[Advaita-l] akhandakara vritti, brahmakara vritti, atmakara vritti or ahamkara vritti

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Mar 31 01:01:51 EDT 2023

On Thu, 16 Mar 2023, Michael Chandra Cohen via Advaita-l wrote:

> Blessed Forum members, Pranam.
>
> Can anyone provide the original text and description of this term with some
> detail on how it is supposed to work? I don't believe it is found in
> anywhere in Prasthana traya bhasya

Yes I don't believe it is explicated in the prasthana trayi itself but is
a later development due to the absorption of Yoga into Advaita Vedanta.
(Yoga is famously defined as chitta vrtti nirodhah)

Now, there is a vivarana on Patanjala Yoga ascribed to Shankaracharya.
Even if one doesn't think it is genuine, our own Vidyashankar Sundaresan
has ably demonstrated that Bhagavatpada was aware of the Yoga sutras and
has quoted from them in the Prasthana trayi bhashyas.  So I do think the
later acharyas have grounds for including it in a theory of Advaita
Vedanta.

My understanding is this:

ahamakara chitta vrtti is the easy one.  It is just the normal mental
state where one identifies with the mind and body.

If I were to say that Harry Potter killed Darth Vader you could
confidently say that I am wrong even though neither Harry Potter nor Darth
Vader actually exist.  But that incorrectness is a pratibhasika asatya.
One still has to accept the validity of the Harry Potter and Star Wars
"universes".  To refute the very idea of those universes and our
supposedly "real" universe requires the ability to refute vyavaharika
asatya and the mental state in which that is possible is akhandakara
chitta vrtti.

One can treat the vyavaharika universe as satya and know that only the
atman is real.  This is atmakara chitta vrtti. Classical Yoga goes no
further than this.

However the Vedantin says even this atman is nothing else but Brahman.
This the the Brahmakara vrtti.  For an Advaitin this is the same as
atmakara vrtti.  After this the mind is deconstructed so there are no
further vrttis.

I believe it is Swami Madhusudana Saraswati who has explained this in
detail in Advaita Siddhi.