[Advaita-l] Chandrashekara Saraswati acharya on avatars

Kaushik Chevendra chevendrakaushik at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 12:24:52 EDT 2023

Namaste sir.

>  again agreed.  For that matter the socalled jeeva too does not have any
> birth nor death, so when Bhagavan saying he is absolute Ishwara he is not
> pointing his finger at his body but tattva which is na hanyate hanyamAne
> shareere.

Yes. Obviously the tatva of bagavan is beyond his forms. For the entire
brahmanadam is just pervaded by a portion of himself ( gita bhasya, rig
Veda).

> >  don't you think same thing applicable to jeeva also??

No not so. Because in the case of jeeva he doesn't act. He is under the
misapprehension that he is the body/mind etc. Hence he is affected by
avidya etc. In the case of bagavan he is acting because he is Nithya muktha
isvara.

See we are not disputing these issues with regard to jeeva and Ishwara.  In
> this transactional world we have already accepted duality.  One is Ishwara
> Chaitanya which  is on its own assumes so many forms with the absolute
> control on it (sAdhakAnugrahArthaM as well as dharma saMrakshaNArthaM) and
> there is / are jeeva-chaitanya-s which due to their respective prArabdha
> karma janita shareera experiencing their karma phala.  And karma phala-s
> will be distributed impartially by dAta, who is also adhyaksha
> (karmAdhyaksha).  So in this duality we are talking about Ishwara's
> upAdhi.  And you know what is siddhAnta drushti (transcendental view point)
> about IshwarOpAdhi.

Agreed. The upadhis are admitted to be mithya. But when is it so? Only
after jnana is attained and duality is seized. Acharya chandrashekhara
saraswati says forms of isvara are eternal and true till one attains jnana
in other words becomes a jivanmuktha. Till then as the bhasyakara says in
BSB bhasya isvara is the ruler and we are the ruled.
 But even in the case of jivanmukthas such as abhinava vidyatirtha swamin,
they had immense devotion to isvara roopas. Infact acharya quotes the
bagavatha purana and says that "jivanmukthas who have nothing to attain,
are eager to listen to the leelas of bhagavan. Such is his glory".

Namo narayana