[Advaita-l] Is there a difference between papa and dushkarma

Kaushik Chevendra chevendrakaushik at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 23:03:31 EST 2023

Namaste sir.

> Namaste Kaushik
> My understanding is that , we cannot say that "only unintentionally done
> pApas undergo kxaya by prAyascitta karma. And any pApa karma done knowingly
> can not be expiated by prAyascitta karma."
>
> I have seen statements that do talk in that sense. But they can be taken as
> arthavAda in order to make people desist from doing whatever they want with
> the notion that there is anyway some ritualistic karma which will
> neutralize it.

Yes sir. This is true. Intentional Papas also have prayashchita. But teh
general case is of unintentional sins. In the case of intentional one
"paschatapa" and heavier prayashchitas are given. In the Geeta we find that
surender to isvara gives us relief from such intentional sins "apichet
sudurachar.....".
The rule is this, unintentional sins can be eradicated by simple means or
easier means. Intentional ones on the other hand are tougher and harder.
One must also not forget that isvara is perfectly just. He doesn't let
people get away with intentional sins just like that. Depending on
paschatapa, action done once or many times, etc he reduces the karma
without creating a traversity of justice. Such are the statments of
abhinava vidyatirtha swamin.

> Even in the case of Rama's brahma hatya pApa on killing Ravana, he did
> prAyascitta at Rameshwaram by installing the linga etc. and invoking the
> grace of Ishvara for neutralizing the intentionally done karma.

Here ravana is a patita brahmana. A fallen one due to his bad conduct. And
rama is a king awarding justice. The dharamashatras say that the hatya of a
patita brahmana(sinful one) isn't a huge sin.
These type of statments are made as a praise of worship etc.. it's not in
line with the sampradaya that one gets away with intentional sins thinking
he will do a prayashchita.