[Advaita-l] Regarding Introduction Panchayatan to Shanmata

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at hitachienergy.com
Mon Mar 6 22:58:48 EST 2023

Panch-Devatas also are deities for Panch-mahabhutas. So sixth deity is an unexplainable addition. If one is to say that such a thing was done to integrate skada-worshipping sanatanis then it looks like a superficial reason. As it disturbs the integrity of panch mahabhutas-panchindriyas-panchdevtas etc."

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Atleast as per existing practice worshipping Subramanya / kumAra /skanda not at all debatable as there is a traditional belief that there is lot of stotra-s in the name of subrahmaNya composed by shankara.  Matching saNkhya and explaining the significance of deities can be done like sattva rajas and tamas for trimurthi-s, shaNmukha kumaara swamy too must be carrying his own merits with his six heads for being worshipped by his devotees.  I read somewhere he is the destroyer of arishadvarga and he has to be worshipping in all R~tus (shadR~utus) and he is the personification of ishwaratva (surasainyanAthaM), karuNa, tapa, Ishwarya, jnaana and vairagya. There must be something more if we search the significance of subrahmaNya in the hindu’s plethora of gods and goddesses 😊 And he is easy to be recognized as one of the main deities since there is a purANA (skanda purANa) dedicated to him exclusively.  So worshippers of skanda could see more deep and philosophical significance in it.  Just few of my thoughts.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar