[Advaita-l] [advaitin] rAma-krishna-shiva-durga etc. are not same in shAstric vyavahAra!!!

Kaushik Chevendra chevendrakaushik at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 00:23:05 EST 2023

> We cannot brush these aside as arthavadas. So, this gives us the picture
> where even the Trimurtis are jivas who have attained those positions
> through upasana, if that be accepted, they are under the control of an
> 'Ishwara' for which Advaita has no default form/name.

This would also mean that isvara and Vishnu/Shiva are different. Atleast in
a subtle way.
The very definition of isvara is that he is sarvajna, sarvashaktha, nitya
suddha, and controller of Maya. And acharya Shankara has already said that
"Vishnu" who is the controller of Maya has taken birth as devaki suta.
Through out the bhasya acharya has clearly called krishna as sarvajna,
sarvashatha, eternally free, unachanging, pure etc.
And after that while taking about isvara roopa in chapter 4, acharya says
that the lord takes a form peculiar to only isvara. Using his "own" Maya he
has come down. If he was a jeeva he would have been given a shareera by
isvara and not taking the shareera on his own.
In the brihadaranyaka upanishad he says that the supreme controller isvara
is narayana. And in the mandukya karika bhaysa says that this narayana is
purshottama who is the best among two legged men. Clearly this not a
nirakara isvara. That narayana has come as devaki suta (gita upodhghata).

In the kena upanishad bhasya he says that rudra is sarvajna isvara who is
the consort of uma. That is not some nirakara isvara.

So it's quite ridiculous to say that isvara is different from Vishnu/Shiva

Namo narayana