[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Pratyabhijna and avidyA vRttis of suShupti

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 11:07:34 EST 2023

Namaste Raghav Ji,

I have copied below from Sidhanta Bindu - translation by Sri SN Shastri,
PDF page 58

//  When the jiva is tired after experiencing objects in the two states of
waking and dream, and when the karma (fruits of past actions) which is the
cause of these two states is exhausted, the inner organ which is
characterized by the power to know and has vasanas in it goes into its
causal state (i.e. it takes the form of nescience which is the causal
body). This is the state of deep sleep which is the place of rest. Deep
sleep is the state in which there is awareness of the cause (ignorance)
alone, as indicated by the recollection (on waking up) in the form ‘I knew
nothing at all’. In that state, even though there is no knowledge of the
objects of experience of the waking and dream states,

three modifications of nescience, namely, the witness, happiness, and modal
ignorance pertaining to that state are accepted as present.

Note. In the deep sleep state the mind is dormant. On waking up one has the
recollection that he knew nothing. Recollection is possible only of what
has been previously experienced. It follows therefore that ignorance was
experienced during sleep. In the waking state any experience or knowledge
is possible only through a vritti or modification of the mind. In deep
sleep no vritti of the mind is possible because the mind is dormant. So it
is concluded that there is a vritti of avidya which is the causal state of
the mind, through which the ignorance was known during deep sleepWhen the
[...]

Regards

On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 7:51 PM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <