[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [advaitin] rope has some problem in rope snake analogy :-)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at hitachienergy.com
Tue Dec 26 00:43:39 EST 2023

praNAms Sri Vikram prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I reckon first we have to take a deeper look at Sri Venktaraghavan prabhuji's observation i.e. snake is not 'mental imagination' but has a locus outside rope. Because this is what exactly I was having in mind when I was talking about  rope is having some problem in -rope-snake' analogy.  Would share my thoughts on his observation (specifically below statement) if my time permits today.

//quote //

The snake in the rope snake adhyAsa is not imagined "in the mind". Rather the adhyAsa takes place in the locus outside, which leads to the experience, "I see a snake there (e.g. in the passageway)". The locus is not the seer's mind, but the location of the rope.

//unquote//

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
Bhaskar

PS : @Venkatraghavan S prabhuji, any elaboration / further notes on the above statement would be highly appreciated