[Advaita-l] Advaitic flavour and Shve Up. in the Skanda puranam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 05:11:50 EST 2023

Some inputs from the Shvetashvataropanishad shown below in between.

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 2:08 PM V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In the Skandapurana we have an Advaitic expression of Brahman and a
> rephrasing of the Shvetashvatara Upanishad:
>
> ~ स्कन्दपुराणम्/खण्डः ३ (ब्रह्मखण्डः)/ब्रह्मोत्तर खण्डः/अध्यायः २१
> https://sa.wikisource.org/s/ge2
>
> सर्गात्पुरा निरालोकं यदेकं निष्कलं परम् ।।
> चिदानंदमयं ज्योतिः स आद्यः केवलः शिवः ।। १२ ।।
>
> Before creation Brahman, the partless, Pure Consciousness, Bliss,
> Resplendent, the First, One only, Shiva the Supreme remained.
>
> स एवादौ रजोरूपं सृष्ट्वा ब्रह्माणमात्मना ।।
> सृष्टिकर्मनियुक्ताय तस्मै वेदांश्च दत्तवान् ।। १३ ।।
>
> He alone, at the beginning, after creating the Rajo-formed Brahmaa, from
> Himself, assigning the function of creating the world to him.  He also
> blessed him with the Vedas.

The above is sourced from the Shvetashvataropanishad:

‘यो ब्रह्माणं विदधाति पूर्वं यो वै वेदांश्च प्रहिणोति तस्मै । तꣳ ह
देवमात्मबुद्धिप्रकाशं मुमुक्षुर्वै शरणमहं प्रपद्ये’ (श्वे. उ. ६ । १८)

I, an Vedantic aspirant take refuge in that Rudra who in the yore created
Brahma and blessed him with the Veda.

> पुनश्च दत्तवानीश आत्मतत्त्वैकसंग्रहम् ।।
> सर्वोपनिषदां सारं रुद्राध्यायं[१] च दत्तवान् ।। १४ ।।
>
> Shiva gave Brahmaa the concise Self knowledge that is the essence of the
> Upanishadic corpus which is the Rudradhyaya (of the Krishna Yajur Veda).
>
> यदेकमव्ययं साक्षाद्ब्रह्मज्योतिः सनातनम् ।।
> शिवात्मकं परं तत्त्वं रुद्राध्याये प्रतिष्ठितम् ।। १५ ।।
>
> The Advaitic imperishable Brahman essence that is ancient, of Shiva, the
> supreme Truth is enshrined in the Rudradhyaya.
>
> The above is both a teaching of Advaita and also a condensation of the
> Shvetashvataropanishad.

In the  Shvetashvataropanishad one can find many passages from the
Rudradhyaya of the Krishna Yajur veda.

Om Tat Sat