[Advaita-l] [advaitin] rope has some problem in rope snake analogy :-)

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 03:16:08 EST 2023

Namaste.

Reg  //  In the Vedanta Paribhasha, the adhyasta vastu is stated to be
'produced' at that time of the adhyasa:

ननु विसंवादिप्रवृत्त्या भ्रान्तिज्ञानसिद्धावपि तस्य
* प्रातिभासिकतत्कालोत्पन्नरजतादि*विषयकत्वे

घटवति घटाभाव*भ्रमो* न *तत्कालोत्पन्न*घटाभावविषयकः

अवगमेऽपरोक्षावभासस्य *तत्कालीनविषयसत्तानियतत्वाद् रजते
पारमार्थिकत्वमप्यनिर्वचनीयं रजतवदेवोत्पन्नमिति* तदवच्छिन्नरजतसत्त्वे //,

This is just what I have also stated. Rope-snake being **Imagined ** does
not involve origination or production of a vastu namely **snake**. Its
ontological status is certainly not the same as that of Creation by Iswara.
But surely **production ** of a vastu in adhyAsa does involve vesting that
vastu with a certain level of ontological status, by definition. Its
ontological status is stated to be prAtibhAsika while Creation by Iswara
has the ontological status of vyAvahArika.

Regards