[Advaita-l] [advaitin] A Tamil-English post on Kamban's 'rope-snake' type analogy

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 03:02:41 EST 2023

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023, 5:16 pm 'Bhaskar YR' via advaitin, <
advaitin at googlegroups.com> wrote:

> The silver that is perceived in nacre is real but it cannot be part of any
> activity, such as picking it up. Therefore, the silver is bhrama
>

> *praNAms *
>
> Hare Krishna
>

> But I read somewhere within Advaita tradition there are some
> ‘anirvachaneeya khyAti vAdins’ who sees the reality of snake in rope and
> silver in nacre.  Just because without any anirvachaneeya snake you don’t
> get scared by seeing mere rope or without seeing any silver in nacre you
> wont get temptation to pick it up.  The vAda is something like this.  What
> is the difference between this vAda and V.advaitins satkhyAti vAda !!??

The 'anirvachaneeya khyAti vAdins’ are Advaitins. The difference between
the Ramanuja view and Advaita is: While in Ramanuja school the bhrama vastu
is real, in Advaita the object is anirvachaniya that is sadasad vilakshana.
This means it is neither asat like shasha vishaana not sat like Brahman. If
asat it would not have been perceived at all. A hare's horn will not become
an object of perception. Not is it sat like Brahman since upon knowledge of
adhishthana rope the snake gets negated, it undergoes baadha.

warm regards
subbu