[Advaita-l] akhandakara vritti, brahmakara vritti, atmakara vritti or ahamkara vritti

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Apr 4 12:45:15 EDT 2023

On Sat, 1 Apr 2023, H S Chandramouli wrote:

> //  ahamakara chitta vrtti is the easy one.  It is just the normal mental
> state where one identifies with the mind and body //,
>
> As a followup on this, I can suggest replacing the statement under
> consideration with the following.
>
> //  This is the Brahmakara vrtti.  For an Advaitin this is the same as
>
> atmakara vrtti. This destroys the identification (तादात्म्य  tAdAtmya) with
> mind obtaining earlier, which is the cause of samsAra,  thereby leading to
> its (samsAra) cessation  //.

I'm making some assumptions here which may be unwarranted.

1. Swami MS is using vrtti in the same sense as Yoga sutras i.e. "state of
mind."

2.  The point or state called manonasha by Swami Vidyaranya must therefore
be beyond any vrtti.  Or does Swami MS not use that terminology?

But it seems you  are saying that atmakara vrtti _is_ manonasha?  Am I
understanding you correctly?